Pizza is such a great comfort food. In my household we usually eat the frozen ones as a backup meal on days where we are just too tired to even think about cooking. However, the other day I thought I would treat my family to a really good, homemade pizza.
The best part of doing a homemade pizza is that you get to pick whatever toppings you want to have – allowing you more variety than what you can get in the grocery store or restaurant. This evening’s pizza comprised of caramelized onions, goat cheese, and ham. I used the pizza dough recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, but you can use any pizza dough recipe or use a store-bought dough (my family really likes the ones Trader Joe’s makes if you want my two cents).
This particular pizza turned out so well that my husband confessed that he’s not a fan of goat cheese on pizza, but this time he really enjoyed it! So much so that when I tried to save my daughter a slice of the pizza to try the next day for her lunch or dinner, he said it was too bad she was already in bed and he swiped it! Poor girl is just going to have to wait until the next time we fix this recipe – but now I know I have to do it for lunch to make sure she gets some!
Hands on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 recipe of pizza dough or store-bought pizza dough
- Corn meal
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into half rings
- 2 pinches of salt
- 3-4 oz of plain goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 oz of ham or Canadian bacon, cut into bit size pieces
- 6 or so thin slices of mozzarella
- Pre-heat oven to specified temperature for your recipe or store-bought pizza dough.
- On medium-low heat, heat a small skillet or frying pan with the olive oil.
- Add onions and salt and stir every so often until the onions become tender and turn a caramel color – about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pizza do on a surface dusted with cornmeal. Once it’s to the size you like, carefully transfer the dough to a baking sheet.
- Place the marinara sauce in the center of the dough and spread around the pizza.
- Add the ham, onions, and goat cheese. Then add the slices of fresh mozzarella.
- Bake pizza for approximately 8-10 minutes.